Just a thought...

I have a gripe. 

I sit and watch the news in the evening and hear the same thing nightly: 1/4 of the country is outraged with the government, a 1/4 is happy-go-lucky, and the rest want to complain about everything.   

I am not one to get in the middle of political battles.  I used to want to be a lobbyist when I was in high school.  That's funny, because I never ran for an office of any kind during those years.  Anyway, I wanted to be in Washington D.C. so badly.  I wanted to be where the action was, to be involved in something greater than myself.

Then I actually thought about it.  There wasn't enough money anyone could pay me to endure the crazyiness that is involved in politics.  Think about it, every single thing you do, from what time you wake up, to what store you shop in, to what your beliefs are on any issue, are debated and scruitinized to the 1,000th degree.

I know that you will never make everyone happy, but to never make anyone happy.... that just wasn't for me.

So, fast forward a few years and I endure the political bull-crap online, on the news, at the store... etc.  People happy about the bailouts, people mad about the bailouts.... blah blah bah 
I say nothing, personally my beliefs are well, mine.  Remember, I keep my mouth shut...

Until I walk out to get the mail last week.  There, in my mailbox, sits a little white envelope stamped with US CENSUS.  Ha, I think.  Better get that dude filled out and back in the mail!  I stick it on the kitchen table for later, you know, when I have time to actually correctly fill it out. 

That night, when both kids were fast asleep, I retreived the official looking letter and sat down to complete the form.  I opened it, and inside... 

A FORM LETTER ADVISING ME THAT IN 5-10 DAYS OUR CENSUS WOULD ARRIVE BY MAIL AND PLEASE FILL IT OUT AND MAIL IT BACK IN THE POSTAGE PAID ENVELOPE.

seriously?

Wonder how much money was spent mailing all of the pre-notification letters.  Bet that money could have been better used to pay down some of that debt everyone is griping about...

Speaking of griping... why am I the only one to be bringing this up? 
 

1 comments :

Maria

It's actually a pretty effective way of getting the word out that the Census is coming to folks who don't read the newspaper or watch tv, and especially for those without internet access.