Beginnings

I was born on Monday September 10, 1979 in Bristow, Oklahoma to Darrell and Susan Graham-Shelton.  I was one of the last babies to be born in the tiny hospital, they soon after closed their maternity ward.  I was named Jennifer Adriane.  I wonder if they knew millions of other parents thought Jennifer was just the right name?  I mean growing up I have known many, many Jennifer's. 

My mother told me once, had I been a boy, they would have went with the equally original  Jason for my name.  Crazy.

My parents were young, my dad was 22 and mother was 21.  I can't even fathom having a child so young.  We lived in a trailer way out in the middle of nowhere.  A pecan grove in Tuskegee, Oklahoma

I came home in a baby blue dress, which thankfully I still have.  Apparently, I cried all the time... my dad tells me that they would put me in the car and drive around to get me to fall asleep.  Funny, stick me in a car now and I do the same thing.  I am a terrible traveler.

I was the first grandaughter to Wesley and Joann Shelton, and the first niece to my three uncles: Curtis, Jeff and Mike.  To say I was going to be spoiled was an understatement. 

I was definately not the first grandchild for my maternal grandma.  She lived in Depew with my Uncle Jamie and aunt Liz.  Unfortunately, I do not know much about the Graham side of my family, but hopefully will be able to research it a bit more in the future.

For the integrity of this project, any reference to grandma will probably be regarding my Grandma, Joann Shelton.  As you will learn, they were (are) very big influences in my life.  I will reference my mother's mom as Grandma Martin.  Although she wasn't a "Martin" when I was born, she married a few years later.  I actually remember a bit of of the wedding. 

I have heard many stories of being a baby... we all do.  Some of my favorites:

I was born a Bristow Purple Pirate.  In fact, when I was just 10 days old, I attended my first football game.  My mom's cousin Anita tells that she and my mom argued who were going to carry me through the stands... I was there to cheer on my uncle Mike.  He was the quarterback for the State Champion Purple Pirates.  I was so proud =).

My parent's used to drive a yellow Jeep wrangler... you know, the kind that the top was removed?  My grandmother gripes and says that they used to put me in the back seat, in a car seat no less, and drive around.  Here was a little bald baby with a bonnet on my head... remember they were 22!


Anyway- this is the beginning.... I will not write everyday about "my story" but will from time to time. 
Just a way to get things down for my kids- and maybe give you a little glimpse into my world.

Until next time!

0 comments :