Scrapbooking??

I started my first scrapbook in 1997.  I can remember sitting in my bedroom at grandma's with my pinking shears, glue, and colored pencils.  I grabbed my grandmother's cookie cutters (for templates)  and bought some markers, even went for some glitter as the months progressed.  I cut out everything from newspaper articles to sporting event programs.  I kept ticket stubs, notes from friends (which is a long lost art I believe now that texting and cells phones have entered the picture) even napkins from restaurants.  Everything inside this scrapbook has special meaning to me for one reason or another. 

This scrapbook lives in my hope chest that hosts our 900 pound television along with other "meaningful" items.  You know- everything that means so much to me...but only gets looked at once every two years or so. 

My next scrapbook was for my dear friend, Brandy Gaskins- Hallman.  She was getting ready to marry Ben, and I wanted something very special for her wedding gift.  So I spent hours, days, weeks, months on this project.  It was before you could walk into a store and buy supplies.  This scrapbook was made with construction paper and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.  I spent a lot of time obtaining pictures from both the Hallman and Gaskins families.  I would copy the pictues then return the originals. 

Finally the book was complete.  I presented it to them at their rehersal dinner and it was a big hit!  I was very proud of all the work I put in.  This little scrapbooking project turned Brandy and her sister-in-law (my cousin) Ashley onto the craft and they havent looked back.  They do amazing work.

A couple of years after presenting that book to Brandy, I was at her house and found the original book was dismantled.  I was so hurt. All of that hard work, gone.  It took a long time to get over that... but I did. 

During the next eight years, I spent an obscene amount of money that, frankly we did not have to spend on scrapbooking gadgets, stickers, paper, pens, embellishments, etc.  My subject matter wasnt extensive.  It included our dogs, old pictures, etc.  Imagine my excitement when Jaci was born- I finally had someone to scrapbook about! 

Fast forward to 2008 and the birth of my son.  Finally, I could put my skills to work.  Funny thing though, I have made about six pages in two years.  I always used the excuse of time.  "i just don't have time, i work 65 hours a week"   Now, I reliaze my opinion of the craft is just... changing.

Remember that first scrapbook?  The one in the bottom of the hope chest?  I am the only one who cares anything about that.  When I am gone, it will be pitched.  There aren't any journaling or descriptions.. nothing.

Secondly- just like the scrapbook gift to Brandy.  Styles and trends will change.  I can imagine giving my books to my kids in 20 years and them looking at them like... "mom, what the heck?  This is sooo- 20 years ago.  I am embarressed to show anyone these!!" 

Lastly, I have thought about a fire.  What are the most important things to me?  Apart from my family which is a no brainer, my most prized posessions is my external hard drive.  Such an easy thing to grab and run with.  I would not be able to grab those books, right? 

Anyway.  I know I will have the tug of scrapbooking in the future... and I plan to do some, digitally for the most part.  But more than that, I plan to just be a better blogger.  Use this as my new avenue to post pictures and the stories that go with.  That way, I can print the posts and compile them in a book someday...  That might be a better option. 

So- now...what to do with the thousands of dollars of supplies I have on my shelves...gathering dust?

2 comments :

Anonymous

this is funny to me. why you ask, because just about 15 min ago i sat down with a picture frame, some stickers, and then needed paint...i looked ALL over my apartment for my paint...then i said AHHH shizz all of my stuff is still at jennifers. AND THEN i thought, man, i can' wait until the summer, id really love to scrap. what im trying to say it, this post just ruined my summer. and ps: i will not let blayne throw your books away..the end.

melissa

craigslist!