Microdiscetomy - Spine Surgery

You know those day's in your life that you know you will never, ever forget?  Those crazy out of nowhere days that you can remember every single detail, no matter what else was going on in your life at the time?

August 27th is one of those days for me.  It was 2.5 weeks before my baby girl turned two.  My grandparents came to town to purchase her birthday gift, a full size bed, side tables, and bedding for my not so baby anymore, baby. 

The beautiful white furniture looked so nice in her room, I immediately decided that she needed the perfect bedding to accompany it.  

Off to the Mall we went, grandma, Emileigh, and myself.  It was August, in Oklahoma heat.  I think the temperature was 112 that day... give or take.  We ended up finding the most perfect pink and black colored set featuring mini-mouse.  Not at all cartoon-ey so pretty.

I carried my sleeping baby through the mall, not knowing it would be the last time I would be able to do so.

That night, we tried tucking her into her big girl bed.  I'm not sure if it was the change, or a sixth sense, but she was not having it.  She went to sleep downstairs, in our bedroom in her pack n play.  At three am, she stirred, I got out of bed to shush her back to sleep and down I went.  At 7am, Kevin's alarm went off.  I tried to get out of bed and couldn't move.

Serioiusly.  I couldn't move.  If there had been a fire in my house, I would have burned.  

I was scared, upset, and angry.

We called my grandma, who stayed with the kids and off to the urgent care we went.
After x-rays and a shot of something I hope to never have again, the doctor explained that I would get over the pain in my back with a bit of rest and tlc.  Actually, I remember he telling me that 80% of the symptoms clear on their own.  

The next day, I went to my primary care doctor.  He agreed, but as a precaution, set up an MRI.  
Two weeks later, I was sitting in front of a spine Surgeon who assured me that I had a bulge, however he thought steriod injections would help.



They didn't  

Two weeks later, I was having back surgery.  A microdiscectomy of the L5 - S1 vertebrae.  

I wish the story ended there, however, after surgery and  another round of steriod injections, I had a revision of the surgery last Monday.  



The past four months have been terrible.  I haven't been able to pick up my babies.  I haven't been able to travel, I haven't been much help to anyone.  I have spent an obscene amount of time on Pinterest.  

With any luck, this surgery will work.




0 comments :