a typical fall day 2011

My grandparents are the biggest influences in my life.  They were my rock the entire time I was growing up, and still to this day, I immediately feel at home when I enter Slick and pull down the street to their house.

When they are gone (I can't even imagine) I know that I will never feel the same about Slick, or the little white house on Pershing street.  What makes that place feel like home, are the two people who live there.

My grandpa is the kindest person I know.  I'm sure there are a TON of stories that I don't know, but I that's the way I like it :)

When I was a little girl, I used to beg to stay at their house any time I could.  I'll admit, my grandpa always seemed a bit old to me.  The reality is, they weren't.  I can sit and think of my most cherished memories of him, and they always seem to be spent outside.  Grandpa would let me go with him to feed the dogs, then we would race back to the house.  I can remember, as I got older, he would run faster in order to teach me that I couldn't always win.  Looking back, I know how hard it was for him to let me win.  You see, Shelton's do not just let people win at anything.

My grandparents were at every softball game and dance recital that I ever played in that were in a 100 mile radius of their house.  EVERY ONE

When I was a little girl, my grandpa would help me climb up on the gate between lots at their house.  Once I was adjusted just right, he would push me through the openings.  I can remember coming in the house with sore and wind-burned cheeks from playing outside so long.

Can you even imagine how I felt, when I witnessed this:















I just stood there, watching my baby girl swing on the gate with my papa.  The same gate I swung on 30 years earlier.  The same strong hands pushing the gate.

The same smile on his face.


When we walked back to the house, Emileigh wanted to hold our hands....   Needless to say, I'll never ever forget this moment the rest of my life.


0 comments :