Trust?

Look at this guy. If you met him on the street, at a party, in church, at your child's school... would you trust him?



I can tell you without a doubt, I would. I tend to be very trusting of people.  I would take one look at this clean shaven, well dressed, well groomed man and think he was a good guy.  You know, one of those guys who spends his weeks working with the kids at the school where he is a principal and weekends mowing his grass and grilling chicken with a beer.  Only one beer though, he has a reputation to uphold.  Sunday would be spent in church working with the youth group, maybe even children's church.  He would hold open the doors for ladies, always compliment them, and listen intently to the stories told and retold by the older ladies of the church.

Yes, I can paint a picture of this man's life with one picture. Even if it is his booking picture. (bet the defense would kill to have me on their jury)

This man is nothing that I wrote above.  Well, not the good stuff.  He is well groomed, clean shaven, and well dressed.  He is also an administrator at a Tulsa elementary school.  That is probably where the good ends.  This man, Robert Yerton, is accused of molesting young men during the past 10 years while holding a role of "safe person".

This blog isn't about whether or not this man is guilty.  Quite frankly, that will be up to a group of his peers.  I pray that this is all a misunderstanding and he isn't guilty of anything charged.

This blog is about the fact that the rose colored glasses I have worn for so long are fading fast.  It scares me to death that I can't protect my child from these predators.  It scares me to death that I trust these folks... but wait!  Aren't you supposed to trust teachers???

I know I can't keep my children with me 24/7 (I do now), so how do I prepare them (and myself) for the big bad world?  Homeschooling is something that keeps popping up in my head... but really?  I would hate myself for allowing my children to miss out on the highs and lows of public school.  Seriously, the friendships, lessons, and well... memories.

How do we keep our children in a bubble?!

1 comments :

Amy Long Inman

That's a good question! Trust me...I've had my two bubbles on order for a long time. :) It's a scary world out there! All we can do is prepare them, protect them and love them the best that we can. And, with lots of prayers, try to maintain our sanity. Love ya!