ABC...123...

Growing up, I wanted to be a Mommy.  I wanted to be a wife and mother more than anything in the world.  When I was in Kindergarden, we had a play.  I believe it was about different occupations A-Z.  I was a Librarian, I really wanted to be the Kite Flier.  (That was Tara Smith and she had the biggest, most beautiful balloon that she used.) Librarian?  Okay- I went from Kindergarden to second grade wanting to be a Librarian.  When I was in Middle School, I wanted to be a basketball coach.  Not because I enjoyed the game, but because I despised every middle school coach I ever had and just knew I could be better.

High School came and I decided that I wanted to be a teacher.  Senior Year: I wanted to be Mrs. Alcorn.

I didn't go to college at the same time my graduating class did.  I entered in 2001, a couple of years later.  I felt out of place.  Young enough to fit the sterotype of "typical college student" but older than the rest of the freshmen class.  I bailed shortly after the attack on September 11th.  It is just a coincidence, or I thought it was. 

I attempted NSU again in 2003.  I was not a MARRIED college student. Surely, I would fit in much better now, right?  Umm NO.  

I bailed again and went to work at LinkAmerica. 

The next 7 years were spend with my head deep in the transportation industry.  I was like a sponge, soaking up every term, account, formula, and driver history.  It was my life for a long time, putting in many, many, many weeks of 70+ hours.  I was always accessable by cell phone during all hours of the day and night, and was issued a laptop to be able to access the system, oh and email.  I literally worked 23 hours a day.  Kevin learned a lot by just listening to me sleep.  I could do my best dispatching while sleeping. :)

Although I moved up the ladder fairly quickly, I would always face the fact that I was a woman in a man's world.  YES that still exists and actually thrives in this industry.

When Emileigh was born, we made the decision that I would stay at home with the kiddos.  I will never, ever, ever regret that decision. 

About six months ago, I got the itch.  I want to jump back into the work force, but I wanted to do something that would stick with me the rest of my working life.  I have thought a million times about going back to transportation, even looking into the program at the University of Arkansas.

I just didn't want to get back into the industry.  That chapter is closed... that Book is closed.

I am opening a new chapter in a new book.  This week I started back to college, to pursue a degree in Nursing.  My hope is to work with either Labor/Delivery, or the NICU.

Yesterday was my first class back.  I am taking a Winter Intersession (minimester) class at Connors.  Psychology. 

I LOVE IT.

Stay tuned.. this could change at any minute.

0 comments :