uncle mike

My uncle Mike came home to visit this week.  I posted on my facebook account that I felt like I did when I was 8 and he would come home to visit.  I was very serious. 

I was born in 1979, Mike's senior year.  I attended my first Bristow High School football game when I was only days old to cheer on my uncle Mike.  I can remember riding in the car for what seemed like hours with my grandparents to watch him play baseball games while he was in college at SWOSU in Weatherford, OK.

I would take my matchbox cars with me because the guys in the dougout would play with me during the games.  I am not sure why they would let me play with them... but I can vividly remember it like yesterday.  I LOVED going to baseball games. 

When I was 6 my uncle Jeff got married, and I can remember the atmosphere being so thick.  Mike was supposed to be in the wedding and was late!  25 years later, I finally asked my grandmother about that.  Her voice always lowers a bit and I hear sadness.  Apparently, on the day that Jeff got married, Mike had a try out with the Phillies in Kansas.  He was offered a contract and all anyone really cared about was that he was late (almost) to Jeff's wedding!   Looking back, how hard would that have been to have to drive 8 hours with the news that you were officially a professional baseball player... then to arrive and not be able to tell anyone. 

I remember Mike working out in the mornings.  He would run and I would always ask to go with him.  Some days, he would allow me to run to the post office with him if I would run back.  He would always run backwards while I would run as fast as I could.  I just wanted to keep up with him.

In the first grade, he came to school with grandma to pick me up.  I was so surprised, he picked me up and put me on his shoulders and walked through the hallways at Washington Elementary.  I will NEVER forget that.

As Mike progressed through the ranks of his baseball career, I saw him less and less.  I was always glad to see him when he game home.  He ALWAYS had the best stuff.  I played a nintendo for the first time at my grandma's house.  Mike brought one back :) 

When I was 10, we went to Oklahoma City and watched him play.  I am pretty sure I smiled for a month afterward.  I still have the baseball with the players signatures on it in my hope chest.  That was MY uncle Mike on the pitching mound.

I always wanted him to be proud of me. I worked really hard when I was young to do good while playing softball.  We even named our team the Phillies :)

I love my Uncle Mike.  I wish he lived closer. 


Here are some pictures of the good ole days-








0 comments :